Complete the TCS London Marathon to combat MND
Today in the UK, six people will hear the devastating news that they have motor neurone disease (MND). In that instant, their world – and the world of their loved ones – is shattered.
At the MND Association, we’re fighting back. Together with our community of volunteers, fundraisers and campaigners, we’re fighting for a world free from MND – and we’d love you to join us.
What is motor neurone disease?
MND attacks the nerves, leaving those affected unable to walk, talk, eat and ultimately breathe. It usually progresses rapidly and there is currently no effective treatment or cure. A diagnosis of MND is extremely frightening, leaving those affected unsure of what to do next and where to turn. Without the right support, they can be left feeling fearful and isolated.
How will my support make a difference?
We want to find a cure for MND. Until then, we want to make sure no one faces MND alone. Your support will help us to:
- fund and promote pioneering research into MND, helping us better understand the disease and develop treatments
- provide expert, coordinated care through our network of care centres
- fund our helpline, which provides frontline support to people with MND, their families, carers and health professionals
- provide equipment like communication devices through our loans service, which can be a lifeline in maintaining quality of life
- fund grants to help with the financial costs of MND, which for some can be crippling
How will you support me to the Start Line?
Like all our fundraisers, our London Marathon runners mean the world to us. When you join #TeamMND you join a very special squad. We understand the enormous commitment running 26.2 miles involves. The sacrificed nights out with friends because of tomorrow’s early morning run. The endless search for socks to alleviate the dreaded blisters. The long training run in the pouring rain because you need to get the miles under your belt. We understand – and we’re there with you.
The London Marathon is our biggest fundraising event of the year, with our team raising an incredible £400,000 in 2021. We know what you’re doing is special, so we’ll make sure we provide you with plenty of support, such as:
- access to our Training Hub, which includes week-by-week training plans and a video library
- a fundraising pack, which includes a free #TeamMND running vest and T-shirt
- an opportunity to link up with your marathon team mates in our exclusive Facebook group
- countdown emails containing helpful advice and support in the build-up to the event
- an invitation to our legendary post-marathon reception to celebrate your achievement
Kate Bryon, 2021 London Marathon finisher, says: “The MND Association was so supportive throughout my prolonged journey to London! I felt so privileged to have been given another chance to run on behalf of the MND Association and so proud to wear that blue and orange vest around the streets of London.”
Together we can beat MND. Will you join us? To find out more, click here.