Meet the MPs taking part in the 2023 TCS London Marathon
This year, seven Members of Parliament from across the political divide will be taking part in the TCS London Marathon on Sunday 23 April 2023.
Among the MPS are four Conservatives. At one end of the experience spectrum is Alun Cairns (Con, Vale of Glamorgan), who will be participating for a sixth year in a row and who was the fastest MP in 2022 when he ran the course in 3:29:32. On the other hand, Lord James Bethell will be attempting to run the TCS London marathon for the first time.
There are two Labour MPs taking part and one from the Scottish National Party, Glasgow East’s David Linden.
The two participating Peers are Lord James Bethell and Lord-in-waiting Graham Evans.
The fastest London Marathon time ever recorded by a sitting MP was by Matthew Parris (Con, Derbyshire West) in 1985 when he finished in 2:32:57. The fastest time by a sitting female MP was set by Liberal Democrat Jo Swinson in 2011 when she finished in 3:57:00.
Having run 10 apiece, Dick Douglas, Gary Waller and Alistair Burt jointly hold the record for the highest number of London Marathons completed as an MP.
MPs participating in the 2023 TCS London Marathon
- Alun Cairns (Con, Vale of Glamorgan)
- James Duddridge (Con, Rochford and Southend East)
- Dan Jarvis (Lab, Barnsley Central)
- David Linden (SNP, Glasgow East)
- Paul Scully (Con, Sutton and Cheam)
- Cat Smith (Lab, Lancaster and Fleetwood)
- Edward Timpson (Con, Eddisbury)
Peers participating in the 2022 TCS London Marathon
- Lord James Bethell (Con, 5th Baron Bethell)
- Graham Evans (Con, Lord Evans of Rainow)